April 7, 2020, will mark the eighth year of Arizonans investing and rallying behind the nonprofit community for Arizona Gives Day, a day of statewide online giving that has raised more than $17 million for Arizona nonprofits. Any qualified Arizona nonprofit can register to participate, and any person can find their cause to donate to at AZGives.org — 365 days a year.
Each year, nonprofits compete for additional prize money based on “most dollars” or “most donations” raised in various categories and can even structure their fundraising efforts around “power hours” to receive the most donations above a set dollar amount within a 60-minute period. Participating nonprofits can win hourly random drawing prizes for donations of $25 or more, too.
This is where every Arizonan and the power of collective giving comes into play. Any donation made, no matter what the amount, is truly an investment being made in our communities.
At the end of the day, these investments will total millions for the nonprofit sector to make our state a better place to live, work and play. We encourage every Arizonan to find their cause at AZGives.org. (For donors’ convenience, pre-scheduled donations can also be made beginning in March.)
- Total Raised: $3.6M (May18-Apr19)
- Average raised per nonprofit: $5,578
- Average donation size: $163
- Total Donors: 22,228
- Total Nonprofits: 723
Why Arizona Gives?
The program was created by the Alliance of Arizona Nonprofits and Arizona Grantmakers Forum to create awareness, connect the public and businesses, and increase financial support for these important, and often critical, organizations. FirstBank has been the presenting sponsor and significant partner to the program since inception.
It is important to remember nonprofits are more than “charity.” Collectively, Arizona’s nonprofits are a powerful, economic engine* that:
• employ more than 171,000 workers (5th largest nongovernment employer in the state, above manufacturing, finance and insurance, and construction industries);
• generate more than $23.5 billion in revenues annually, on par with what is generated by the construction sector in the state (nearly 8 percent of the state’s Gross State Product); and
• generate more than 9 percent of Arizona’s state and local tax revenue.
We need all Arizonans and businesses operating in Arizona to understand that their philanthropic donations make our economy stronger. Below are some ways that your business and employees can get involved, build a spirit of philanthropy in our state, and ensure a successful future for Arizona’s community by getting involved in Arizona Gives Day on April 7, 2020!
How your business can get involved:
- Sponsor Arizona Gives
- Provide In-Kind Donation of Advertising
- Contribute to the Incentive Prize Pool
- Provide a Matching Gift
- Create a Fundraising Page for one nonprofit
- Create an Employee Giving Page for your entire staff
- Send communication to employees and customers about Arizona Gives
- Find out more
Jennifer Purcell is director of community engagement at Alliance of Arizona Nonprofits.