How is the metropolitan Phoenix region doing with international business? That’s the question we answer annually with our International State of the Metro, held in metro regions around the world — and in Metro Phoenix annually since 2007, predating Global Chamber®!
Many metro areas are hot for business, meaning that companies are thriving, growing and continuing to arrive (invest). Some are not, and Phoenix was definitely not when we started doing these discussions in 2007 during the second Great Depression, and predating regional focus on international opportunities. Now, Metro Phoenix is HOT, HOT, HOT — and growth is regional, including the cities of Phoenix, Scottsdale, Surprise and Peoria attending this time.
At International State of the Metro events, we don’t just talk about international business over wine and cheese, we grade it and put a report card together. We also connect the global tribe to new global leaders, information and opportunities. This year for Metro Phoenix, we were pleased to have Rob Millar, director of Economic Development for the City of Scottsdale, provide the report card. This special assignment is passed year to year to regional experts, with annual grading on key topics that include exporting, tourism, foreign direct investment and more.
This year, Metro Phoenix was graded an overall B+, with each of the specific sub-areas graded as well. Contact us for more information, including previous years’ results. This year’s event was sponsored by Cresa, Spencer Fane, Harvard Group International and Bank of America. Thank you all. And thank you to all our attendees!
Keynote Speakers 2020
- Mayor Jim Lane at City of Scottsdale – Welcome
- Rob Millar at City of Scottsdale – Metro Phoenix International Report Card
- Barbra Coffee, Director of Economic Initiatives at City of Tucson – Southern AZ
- Kevin Youngblood, President at Youngblood Works – Don’t Forget the West Side
- David Adame, President/CEO at Chicanos Por La Causa – Community Development
- Sidnee Peck, Chief of Staff at Zero Mass Water – Product Export Success
- Jeff Golner, President/CEO at STEM Sports® – Service Export Success
- Hank Marshall, City of Phoenix & Doug Bruhnke – Export League
- Ruth Sanchez, Executive Director at Project C.U.R.E. – Update on Progress
Doug Bruhnke is founder and CEO of Global Chamber®.