Gila River Hotels & Casinos – Wild Horse Pass, Lone Butte and Vee Quiva distributed a year’s worth of self-excluded jackpots to five local non-profit organizations at its annual Gila River Cares Night of Giving celebration held at Wild Horse Pass on Thursday, Oct. 24.
This year, over $74,000 of self-excluded jackpot funds were distributed to local non-profits to enhance the lives of Arizonans through educational programs and children’s welfare.
This year’s recipients and distribution amounts included:
- UMOM New Day Centers (Phoenix): $21,164.77
- UMOM restores hope and rebuilds lives by providing shelter, services and affordable housing for people experiencing homelessness. Funds will be used to provide shelter and services to 500+ homeless families, including 900+ children. While in shelter, all family members have access to services including three meals each day, safe and secure shelter, housing assistance, education opportunities, on-site medical, childcare, as well as afterschool and summer programs for children and youth.
- Kids in Focus (Arcadia): $15,836.57
- Kids in Focus empowers and equips at-risk children to shift from surviving to thriving. Through the restorative power of photography and with the guidance of dedicated mentors, the children are inspired to open their eyes to their own potential and self-worth. Funds will support an intensive 9-week After-School Photography Mentoring program for 30 to 35 at-risk children and continuing year-round engagement activities for 175 alumni in the Gradsin Focus program.
- Foundation for Blind Children (Phoenix/Chandler): $15,836.57
- The Foundation for Blind Children serves the blind and visually impaired of all ages. As the only agency of its kind, FBC is an essential resource to families and children with blindness or low vision. Funds will be used to provide a well-rounded system of programs and services, to optimize the blind, or visually-impaired child’s development. These programs will offer many opportunities to lead a meaningful and productive life, starting at infancy, through preschool, elementary and secondary education, and throughout college and adulthood.
- Beyond Autism (Scottsdale): $10,582.38
- Autism affects the child and the entire family in everyday life. Beyond Autism helps teachings reach outside of the classroom and provides skills that will enhance the child and quality of life for the whole family. Funds will be used to expand their vocational program, helping prepare Beyond Autism’s students for future work opportunities. Because of these funds, their vocational program will be in a position to expand to include even more community members.
- Hope Community Services (Peoria): $10,582.38
- At least 1 in 7 children have experienced child abuse and/or neglect in the past year. Hope Community Services’ (formerly West Valley Child Crisis Center) mission is to create lasting solutions for children and families by providing innovative programs to foster safe and healthy communities within Arizona. Funds will be used to provide services for children in the Arizona child welfare system and the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment Systems. In particular, the funds will support the organization’s Equine and Animal-Assisted Therapy programs.
“Our Gila River Cares program helps nonprofits year-round through in-kind donations, monetary sponsorships, and self-excluded jackpots,” said Kenneth Manuel, CEO of Gila River Hotels & Casinos. “Gila River Cares Night of Giving represents our commitment to giving back to the community and positively impacting the lives of individuals in our state. We are thrilled to congratulate this year’s winners who truly are making a difference in our community.”
Earlier this year, all Arizona based 501c3 status non-profit organizations recognized by the IRS were eligible to apply to receive these funds, and a committee from Gila River Hotels & Casinos selected the recipients.
“We are overwhelmed with gratitude to receive these funds, which will provide 198 nights of shelter to families with children that are experiencing homelessness,” said Grants Manager at UMOM New Day Centers, Christina Armold.
Gila River Hotels & Casinos is honored to be able to give back to the local Arizona community and plans to continue this initiative for many years to come.
For more information on Gila River Hotels & Casinos, please visit PlayatGila.com.