“We can’t wait to play the Guaranteed Rate Bowl and kick off Bowl Season in Arizona this year, despite our disappointment that fans are not permitted in the stadium,” said Mike Nealy, Executive Director of the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. “Our staff was incredibly diligent to put health and safety measures in place that earned the endorsement from the Governor’s Office for policies that aligned with recommendations for reducing COVID-19 transmission risk. Ultimately, we all need to do our part to ensure the health and safety of our community.”
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the Fiesta Bowl Organization has worked with the Arizona Governor’s Office, Arizona Sports & Tourism Authority, health experts, City of Phoenix and the Arizona Diamondbacks to create updated health and safety plans and protocols. These policies were designed to protect participants, staff, fans, media and vendors, while maintaining an entertaining fan experience. COVID-19 mitigation plans were reviewed and approved by the Arizona Department of Health Services.
“We have been looking forward to delivering another first-class fan experience for the Guaranteed Rate Bowl,” said Patrick Barkley, Fiesta Bowl Chairman of the Board. “We will welcome two fantastic teams from the Big Ten and Big 12 Conferences, who will enjoy our well-known hospitality and compete on the field in a game that millions of fans will watch live on ESPN.”
Fast Facts about the Guaranteed Rate Bowl:
- Saturday, December 26, 2020, at 8:15 pm MST at Chase Field in downtown Phoenix
- Game broadcast is live on ESPN
- 2020 will be the 32nd annual game in Bowl history
- Guaranteed Rate Bowl is the only bowl game between the Big Ten and Big 12 Conferences
- MLB ballpark turns into football field (WATCH FIELD TRANSITION)
- The 70,000+ square feet of game turf is donated to a community in need for a playing field
- Notable players to take the field in the game’s 31-year history include: Larry Fitzgerald, Aaron Rodgers, Le’Veon Bell, Drew Bledsoe, Ron Dayne
Since 1971, the Fiesta Bowl is a world-class community organization that executes innovative experiences, drives economic growth and champions charitable causes, inspiring pride in all Arizonans during and outside of college football bowl season. As a nonprofit organization, it is driven by its vision for the importance of community outreach and service. Through the PlayStation® Fiesta Bowl, Guaranteed Rate Bowl and our year-round events, such as the Desert Financial Fiesta Bowl Parade, corporate partnerships and numerous community events throughout the year, the organization provides charitable giving to enhance Arizona nonprofit organizations that serve communities through youth, sports and education.