Millions of people have made the decision to be entrepreneurs, and millions more will follow. One thing that many of them have in common is preparing for the unknown. What nobody tells those who decide to become self-employed is, there are numerous things that will get in the way of their plan and there will be some people who second-guess what they are doing or simply walk away. The good news is that the fear of the unknown doesn’t have to rule.
Fear and hesitation are a reality for all entrepreneurs, but they can become crippling if they are not taken head-on and conquered. While many people have the dream of being an entrepreneur, they don’t find out until they get started that there are ups and downs, and there is uncertainty. My message is: You have a choice. You can let your worries keep you from your dream, or you can choose to let it motivate you.
In the current months, many people are teaching business owners and entrepreneurs to “pivot and flex.” But I believe that, no matter what the world has thrown at you, you must always move toward your goal, not pivot into new directions.
Once a business owner defines his or her goal, the hurdles and the uncertainty will become a breeze to navigate beyond. A unifying vision will allow everyone on the team to be mobilized when they find their own noble purpose in that vision. It will be shared by a team that can overcome all obstacles.
The clarity of one’s vision will allow one and one’s team, vendors and network to be forward thinking, innovative and empowered. The key is to become fully empowered, enabling one to realize one’s potential and move through the fear — so as to reach one’s vision.
Here are six tips to help entrepreneurs become fully empowered:
- Balance the fear you feel against the fear of not taking action. There is fear and risk in not achieving your goal, too.
- Remind yourself of the reason you chose your path. Everyone has reasons for why they become an entrepreneur in the first place. There may be times when you have to remind yourself of what those reasons are.
- Find a mentor who can help you through the hesitation. At one time, the mentor likely experienced it as well, and will know how to help you move past it. An experienced guide will lead up the mountain.
- Don’t worry about years down the road. Rather, keep your vision in sight as you take it one day at a time. It may create more doubt and worry to look at things into the future. Instead, focus on the here and now.
- Avoid hesitating because of doubt. When you hesitate, you give the fear power and it can become stronger. The more you imagine obstacles, the more powerful your imagination will become.
- No matter what route you take, choose to be the best you can be. Never lose sight of your vision. Never quit!
Yes, there is some doubt, due to stress and challenges, when being an entrepreneur. But it’s important to remember the risks taken are what make the outcome worthwhile. Those who succeed at being an entrepreneur become empowered as they conquer each obstacle.
Celebrated author, business coach, lawyer, mentalist and motivational speaker Joe Curcillo helps companies to thrive by focusing on the idea of having a unifying vision. He has helped countless business leaders to improve their effectiveness by adopting and carrying out the mission. He specializes in helping companies tap into the power of their millennial employees and bridge the gap between generations. Getting to Us focuses on the importance of using a Unifying Vision to get in the heads of a business owner’s employees, customers and entire network.