Today’s announcement marks the latest development in Umpqua’s Western U.S. expansion. Late last year, Umpqua hired long-time Phoenix banking leader Kevin Gillette as market director to build its middle market operation in Arizona. The bank also recently expanded into Colorado as part of its commitment to supporting high-growth companies in communities throughout the Mountain West.
“Phoenix in one of the fasting growing, most dynamic economies in the country right now, and Umpqua is thrilled to be a growing part of the business community here,” said Gillette. “Our combination of size, expertise, and personalized approach to supporting our customers has been attractive to mid-size companies in the region, and these five talented additions to our team will enhance our contribution to customer success as we grow our market presence.”
Joining Umpqua’s growing middle market banking team under Gillette’s leadership are the following bankers:
- Dan Slocum, senior vice president and senior relationship manager. Slocum has more than a decade of experience in banking serving as a trusted advisor to mid-sized companies and providing strategic insights around capital deployment, working capital and cash management. He has an MBA from Arizona State University and bachelor’s degree in finance from Eastern Michigan University.
- Alain Pelanne, senior vice president and senior relationship manager. Pelanne brings years of banking and health care sector experience with a focus on credit risk and analysis. He has an MBA and bachelor’s degree in accounting from the University of Virginia.
- Michael Paduone, senior treasury management consultant, global payment and deposits. With more than two decades of banking experience, Paduone advises middle market health care and education clients on improving financial control, reducing fraud risk reduction, and improving capital management. Paduone has an MBA and bachelor’s degree from Pennsylvania Western University. He also holds the designations of ACH Professional and Certified Treasury Professional.
- Jonathan Akongo, senior vice president and client solutions manager, corporate banking. Akongo has more than 25 years of experience in credit and commercial lending, primarily for middle market companies, including loan structuring, syndications, loan workouts and special assets management. He holds a master’s degree in public administration from the University of Phoenix and a Bachelor of Commerce degree in marketing from Makerere University in Uganda.
- Ramy Michael, middle market underwriter. Michael specializes in financial statement analysis, credit analysis, and credit risk. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in finance from Arizona State University.