The Greater Phoenix Chamber announced the 11 women chosen as finalists for its prestigious 35th Anniversary ATHENA Awards, continuing its strong tradition of recognizing outstanding Valley businesswomen.
The ATHENA Businesswoman of the Year Award recognizes a woman in the public and private sectors and highlights an upcoming leader in the Valley as an ATHENA Young Professional. ATHENA finalists are chosen for their excellence in business and leadership, dedication to the community, and support and mentorship of other women.
The 11 finalists are:
Private Sector finalists:
- Deb Gullett, CEO, Arizona Association of Health Plans
- Delma Herrera, Vice President of Field Sales, West Region, Cox Communications
- Sissie Roberts Shank, President & CEO, Chas Roberts A/C & Plumbing Inc.
- Marcia Veidmark, Owner, Founder, CEO & Chairman of the Board, SSC Underground (Specialized Services Co.)
Public Sector finalists:
- Jennifer Caraway, Founder & Executive Director, The Joy Bus
- Christine Mackay, Director, Community & Economic Development, City of Phoenix
- April A. Salomon, Executive Director, Musical Instrument Museum (MIM)
- Kate Smith, Ed.D., President, Rio Salado College
Young Professional finalists:
- Veronica Aguilar, Vice President, Teach for America
- Lindsey Beagley, Senior Director for Mirabella at ASU, ASU Enterprise Partners
- Amber Cordoba, Director of Business Education and Consulting Services, CPLC – Prestamos CDFI
“Spotlighting the women who are moving the Greater Phoenix area forward through the ATHENA Awards program is one of the Chamber’s proudest traditions,” said Todd Sanders, president & CEO of the Greater Phoenix Chamber. “These women make immeasurable contributions within their companies, their communities, and they are a driving force in making Arizona a top state in the nation. I encourage everyone to join us in October at the ATHENA Awards Luncheon to meet these exceptional leaders.”
The ATHENA Awards highlight women who have achieved the pinnacle of success within their industry, have mentored women throughout their careers, dedicated their time to their community, and are making a difference in the lives of others. Register here
Representing 2,400 businesses across the Greater Phoenix region, the Greater Phoenix Chamber promotes regional prosperity by serving as a catalyst for economic vitality and strong communities. The Chamber pursues this mission by collaborating with business, political and community leaders to grow the regional talent pool, create a regional approach to economic development and drive a pro-Arizona agenda.
The ATHENA Awards, an internationally prized honor, recognizes the achievement of businesswomen across the Greater Phoenix region. ATHENAs are challenged across industries to continue their dedication to leading, serving and mentoring. The award highlights three women every year who are at the top of their field and who invest in their career, their community and especially other women. ATHENAs demonstrate inspiring leadership within their industry, mentor women throughout their career and dedicate themselves to the community.
ATHENA International established an award to honor emerging young leaders in our community. The ATHENA Young Professional Award officially launched at the 2007 International ATHENA Leadership Conference and Phoenix was proud to be one of the first cities to present it within their community. These are the “women to watch.”